Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Marauder.ca Olympic Article - Yorke




Check out this Marauder.ca article about marauder Olympians this year, including notes about Andrew Yorke's alternate position, and coaches Paula Schnurr and Rory Sneyd helping Simon Whitfield prepare.


A stellar competitor for the McMaster cross country team over his varsity career, Andrew Yorke is going to the Olympics in a challenging position. Yorke was named as the team alternate for Men’s Triathlon, meaning he will only compete should one of the three Canadians set to go in London suffer injury or illness. Yorke commented on his status, “The Men's triathlon goes off on August 7th. In the unfortunate circumstance that someone was injured I would race at the games as a team concept racer, aiding my fellow Canadians on the swim and bike portions of the race and then free to race for myself on the run.” Despite being in the difficult position of alternate, Yorke is determined to get the most out of his exposure to the world’s biggest sports festival. “Getting named to Team Canada was an exhilarating feeling. Not many athletes ever get the opportunity to participate, even in a small role, at a major games so I feel very fortunate that Triathlon Canada has recognized my hard work by naming me to the team,” said Yorke. “My goal has always been to challenge for a high placing at the Olympics in 2016 and I see this as a stepping stone to realizing my ultimate dream four years from now. My coach Barrie Shepley (Mac alumni) has instilled a belief that I could compete with the best in the world one day, and I have to thank him for all of the support he has and continues to give me.” One of Yorke’s teammates on the Canadian Triathlon team is decorated Olympian Simon Whitfield, who was recently named as Canada’s Flag Bearer for the Opening Ceremonies. Taking note of Yorke’s vast improvement over the last year, Whitfield has made McMaster a second training base in preparation for the London Games. The native of B.C. has been training extensively with McMaster Swim Coach Andrew Cole, and Rory Sneyd and Paula Schnurr from the Mac Cross Country team. Already a Gold (2000 in Sydney) and Silver (2008 in Beijing) Olympic medalist, any success Whitfield has in London will have a tint of Maroon to go along with it.

#tw

No comments:

Post a Comment